The freight terminal was built in 1892 as part of the Jaffa train station complex and served to store transit goods that mostly arrived from the Jaffa Port en route to Jerusalem. The terminal was used more and more over the years, and by 1913 some 43,000 tons of freight passed through annually.
The building was functional and simple, designed to allow a freight train to stop alongside and load / unload its wares directly to / from the freight cars.
The building was expanded four times, with no internal division, adding to its length so it could accommodate longer trains. The western section was added last – a low section of storage boxes with a tile-roofed stone building behind it. The eastern section of the building was open. The added office and storage area in the western section was also simply designed, based on the style and building materials that were common in the
Elliptic stone archways were used for the doorways, and although the original doors no longer exist, they were presumably heavy wooden doors.