The Wieland family factory was built in 1905, a pioneer in the concrete and concrete products industry in the Land of Israel. The factory’s products were used for agriculture and construction and saved the need to import materials from abroad. The factory constituted an important industrial milestone in the modern history of the Land of Israel. The factory was constructed near the train station, in order to utilize the railway’s transportation services throughout the Middle East and also to be near the American- German Colony in Jaffa. Historic photos show the railway tracks splitting from the station to the factory courtyard, where goods awaited transport.
At its peak, the factory produced roofing tiles, metal construction elements, decorated concrete cinder blocks, balustrades (handrails supported by vertical rods), balcony posts, various types of tile, stairs, window frames, irrigation pipes for orchards, etc.
Many of the products stemmed from the German construction culture and noticeably influenced the construction culture in the Land of Israel.
The two-storey building was characterized by large, functionally planned spaces. The ground floor was divided into three spaces and the second floor consisted of one large hall.
The factory remained operational until the end of the 1930’s and in 1941, the complex was handed over to the British army after they expelled the Templars, including the Wieland family, to Australia. The British used it as a rear logistic base.